Student visa to Australia can be a tourist visa or a specific visa for this purpose and which gives access to work. See the most common types and what is needed for your application.
To do exchange in Australia, you need a visa that allows you to enter and stay in the country. First of all, you need to know what options are available and which are best for you. The duration of the course you intend to take is decisive for this choice.
In addition, the country also offers post-study visa options, which allow you to work only and extend your stay here. So check out my information, tips and experience with types of visas in Australia.
Tourist visa for up to 3 months:
The visitor visa subclass 600, or tourist visa, for Australia allows you to stay for three months in the country, you are entitled to 12 weeks of study, but without a work permit.
This visa is ideal for a short-term exchange as it is less bureaucratic than a student visa. Another advantage is that it is usually approved faster than a student visa.
This type of visa is commonly granted for a 12-month duration and a three-month stay permit. Therefore, every three months from each date of entry into Australia, you must leave the country to renew your stay.
Always be mindful of two things: the end date of your stay (you are not entitled to re-entry after the date your visa expires) and the multiple-entry condition. If the latter is not granted, you will only be entitled to the initial three months, without renewal.
- Documents: On the Australian Embassy website, you have a list of recommended documents. Passport valid for at least six months, proof of income for the last three months – for Indiaian passports and employment relationships with India are the most important.
- Financial resources: prove AU$1,753.42 per month. The proof must be made through bank statements of checking, savings or investment funds that are CDB, DI or Fixed Income.
- Ticket: The Australian government does not recommend purchasing tickets prior to visa issuance. What you can arrange is a ticket reservation.
- School: School offer letter and full course payment receipt
- Health/travel insurance not mandatory, but recommended.
- Visa application is done online. We recommend that you look for a reliable and specialist visa application agency. The visa costs AUD$146.92 and can be paid on the website by credit card, Paypal or Bpay (if the service is available in India). Currently, the embassy has no processing deadline for visas in this category.
During my work at an exchange agency, I received some students on this visa. They represent the minority of exchange students who come to Australia. These are usually people with limited time off from work.
Many people use a tourist visa to enter the country for the first time and apply for a student visa within the country. Beware, the Department of Home Affairs is keeping an eye on these applications and the number of visas denied for people in this situation has increased significantly. They are watching to see if you are a genuine student!
Let’s talk about what it takes to get a student visa to Australia. This was the visa I got to come here for the first time in 2007. I originally came to spend a year studying a technical course in mass communication. I renewed my visa here twice more and a lot has changed in these years.
Study up to 20 weeks with work permit:
Anyone who chooses to study for more than 12 weeks must apply for a student visa. And look how beautiful, it allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight. This is one of the reasons why Australia is so popular for exchange. Even if you have to prove that you have access to cost of living in Australia, you can still work and use that money for travel or extra expenses. Furthermore, work experience helps to enrich your exchange. We recommend that the course time to apply for this visa is always above 16 weeks.
Visa application is also online. To issue a visa, it is no longer necessary to send the passport to the Embassy and the visa, which used to be a label that was glued to the passport, is now a letter that you receive by email (eVisa). It is not necessary to carry your visa with your passport, but many agencies provide this guidance. If you feel more secure, follow the recommendation.
Document: Valid passport, valid for 3 months after the scheduled departure date
School: COE – Confirmation of Enrollment. This is your registration confirmation. This document is issued by a government website after payment for the course.
Form: Imm account – choose the 500 visa – student visa
GTE: This acronym stands for Genuine Temporary Criterion, but to put it mildly, it is a letter of intent for your stay. It is very important to justify your studies in the country and your links and incentives to return to your country of origin.
Bank statements from three months prior to visa application that prove AU$1,761 for each month of stay in Australia from either the applicant or his sponsor
Individual Income Tax Declaration
Hosting: addresses, payment receipts